Posted by Jeff on October 22, 2008
1) Move Jerry Yang from CEO to CTO.
2) Cut 50% of non-US staff and facilities. Retreat back to your core, original, loyal base.
3) Sell Search. Yes, I realize this was your first service and that all of Yahoo was built from it, but it’s a dog. And you won’t catch Google.
4) Buy Skype from eBay and then wait for eBay to totally tank. Resurrect Yahoo Auctions and link it to Shopping.
5) Forget developing your own peer-networking stuff. It’s been done to death, just use someone else’s API.
6) Flickr is great. Answers is pretty cool. Finance is nice. You have stuff to build on.
7) You are a portal. Make it the best, easiest, nicest place to go for news, stocks, video, etc. iGoogle is nowhere close and MSN may already have you beat. But it’s the only thing that really defines Yahoo as a single entity anymore.